“Stuck at home?”
The Enhanced Community Quarantine in Metro Manila has left many of us safe at home. While we each do our part in supporting our frontliners, taking care of our family and employees, other companies have generously shared a trove of resources for entrepreneurs to learn, explore and jump into.
Quick, Important Reminder
Before you pore through this list of learning resources, note — this is not a competition of who can “outhustle” or be the most productive in this crisis. This is can be a traumatic experience for most, so take care of your mental health, get some exercise, eat and sleep well. Then if you find yourself with the time and interest, check out these awesome sites:
1. Harvard Business Review
How Much It Usually Costs: subscription $15-$23 usd/month depending on plan inclusions
What’s For Free? An 80-page e-book entitled Coronavirus + Business: The Insights You Need from Harvard Business Review
What’s it About? This e-book is essential a compilation of articles divided into three separate sections: Managing Your Business, Managing Your Remote Team, Leading Through The Crisis. I don’t have a lot of free time (mom responsiblities come first), so I like to read short, well-written articles that go straight to the point.
How Chinese Companies Have Responded to Coronavirus (page 34),
15 Questions About Remote Work, Answered (p.44)
How Bad Times Bring Out the Best in People (p. 77)
How Much It Usually Costs: subscription is $8.99/month
What’s For Free? A one-month subscription to the entire library. PLUS an extra month free using my referral link (60 days free!). Note, you need to input credit card information to get the free 2-months, so take note when your free trial expires.
What’s it About? Scribd offers a collection of books, audiobooks, book summaries, magazines, and even sheet music from the library. I’m not too keen on reading too long from a computer screen (you can also download the app to read from your ipad or phone), so I’ve mostly downloaded audiobooks in different genres.
Bonus offers: Scribd subscribers also get free access to their partner sites, just click on Scribd Perks on the menu.
How Much It Usually Costs: $29-299/month depending on the plan
What’s For Free? Shopify is extending their free trial from 14 days to 90 days.
What’s It About? Shopify is a great platform for brick-and-mortar entrepreneurs or aspiring entrepreneurs to enter the world of e-commerce. As someone who has two online stores (both run on Shopify), it was easy to build the store from scratch with the drag-and-drop functions and easy interface. In these uncertain times, e-commerce has proven itself as a resilient, convenient option vs traditional retail, and instead of just being a buyer, you can also consider being on the seller side.
4. Moz SEO
How Much It Usually Costs: $49-$295 per course
What’s For Free: Free Training for All Courses (except for SEO Essentials Certification), until May 31, 2020
What It’s About? Offers SEO courses from beginner, novice, to intermediate level. These courses are relevant to entpreneurs who want to learn the basics (and not get overwhelmed/intimidated by all the technical terms), as well as freelancers or SEO companies who want to offer their services to businesses. Some course titles include:
- SEO Fundamentals
- Local SEO Fundamentals
- Keyword Research
- Page Optimization
- Backlink Basics
- Reporting on SEO
- Technical SEO Site Audit
- Backlink Audit & Removal
- The Fundamentals of SEO Client Prospecting
- Finding Potential SEO Clients
(Update!) 5. Coursera
How Much It Usually Costs: (Varied)
What’s For Free:
- Free online courses for mental health and well-being: from de-mystifying mindfulness to understanding the science of happiness, we’ve collected top wellness courses to help you prioritize mental health and well-being during these uncertain times.
- Free online courses for high school students: from calculus to guitar for beginners, we’ve rounded up courses to help high school students everywhere keep learning.
- Free online courses for college students: from preparing for an interview to learning data science, we’ve collected courses to make it easier to keep learning.
- Free online courses for career development: from creative problem solving to personal branding, we identified courses to help you build important career skills.
- Free online courses for building your cloud technology career: from machine learning to cloud computing, we’ve curated a set of courses to help you grow your career in an increasingly digital world.
- Free online courses for understanding public health: from the science behind COVID-19 to communicating during global emergencies, we’re making popular public health courses completely free.
- Free online courses in Spanish: from wellness to professional development, we’re making popular Spanish-language courses available for free.
Important – Please follow the instructions at the bottom of the page to access your free course!